Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

The Godfather

Film 11: It took me a long time to finally watch The Godfather. I've had it for months, I think. I've seen the beginning so many times, but then I get distracted. It's hard for me to justify sitting and watching a 3-hour film without doing something (folding clothes, grading, cleaning, etc), so my memory of the film is still fuzzy, but I sat through it, and I'm going to review it anyway.

Let me start by revealing that all that I knew about The Godfather was from cultural references to it in other films or television. The Hubs has been trying to get me to watch it for a while, but I kept telling him that I'd already seen, and I'd say stuff like "Leave the gun, take the cannoli" to prove to him that I had in fact seen it. In reality, I only know that line because Tom Hanks quotes the line to Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail, which I've seen so many times that I'm embarrassed. Boy was I surprised when I heard that line in The Godfather! (Spoiler alert: it's after someone gets shot).

Likes: The music, cinematography, performances are all top notch. Funny story--I had to look up who Al Pacino played because I didn't recognize him as Michael. Also, didn't recognize Diane Keaton as Kay. I've only seen them in more recent films, and they have both changed considerably. Give me a break, people. 

Dislikes: Well, I suppose there's not much that I dislike about the film. I mean, it's what I expected, lots of killing and crime. I don't really know the plot. Still don't understand why guys like it so much--it's kinda long and slow.

Bottom line: It's really not my type of film, but it's a well-made classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment