Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Every Day, I'm Hustling

Today, is Day 3 of my 30 days of hustle project, which as I explain in this post, is to write for at least 30 minutes every day for the next 30 days. Specifically, I need to spend time keeping up with this blog and other writing projects. Here's how this works: Each day, I get an email from Jon Acuff, author of New York Times Bestseller START. Each day, his email gives me an assignment toward reaching my goal.

Here's my overview:
Day 1: Determine what one thing to do in the next 30 days. I'm going to spend 30 minutes every day working on my blog and other writing projects.

Day 2: Why am I doing this? I'm doing this because being a writer is one of my dreams, but I've been too busy or lazy to really make writing a priority.

Day 3: How? To achieve my goal, I will: 1. Wake up by 5:30 every morning. 2. Set a timer to go off at 30 minutes. 3. Write first, edit later.

So far, I've been pretty good at getting up early. I have written 30 minutes each day, and I'm working on the editing piece. I'm a perfectionist, and before I type or write sentences, I usually have mulled them over and over in my head. Sometimes, if I'm not convinced that what I'm writing is perfect, I will not write it down for fear that it's not worth writing. If I've learned anything though, it's that doing is always better than intention. So, with that in mind, I'm working hard on letting go and just writing what comes out. As my creative writing professor told me in college: "Most of what you write will be garbage, but in the midst of all that garbage will be a few golden nuggets worth keeping."

I'm setting my fears aside and putting myself out there, and I hope to see results. One thing I do know is that I'll never be a writer if I never write. Here's to living out my dreams!

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment