Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Artist (2011)

Welcome to my first Film Friday Review. I love movies, and one of my goals before turning 30 is to watch 30 Academy Award Best Picture winners. I had some rules though:

1. I wanted to watch a least one film from each decade of Academy Award history, which dates back to the 1920's.
2. The films chosen have to be films that I have never seen or never seen to completion (like The Godfather, which I've seen from the beginning, but not all the way through).

I've watched 3 films so far, but today is about The Artist (2011). First, let me admit that I'm a film snob. I am not a big fan of blockbusters, but I watch them to stay current and because that's the only thing Mike and I can agree to watch in theatres. Film snob that I am, even I had some reservations about The Artist.

The Artist is a black-and-white silent film from 2011. Yeah, 2011, when people have to be constantly entertained at all times and don't appreciate the quiet. When it's all about special effects and 3-D, The Artist is quite a refreshing departure from the status quo and pretty gutsy move for the film producers, but it totally pays off. I was expecting it to be dull, but it was entertaining, funny, and enjoyable.

The film tells the story of the rise and fall and rise again of silent film star George Valentin. George had a strong run as a silent film actor, but is resistant to change when the film industry begins introducing "talkies." The resistance causes him to lose his career and his marriage, and he ends up bankrupt and nearly dies, but he is rescued by his adorable dog Jack. With the help of a young actress named Peppy that he met while he was at his peak, he gets his life back on track.

I love the simplicity of this film and how it takes few words or effects to tell a great story. It's amazing how effective the story-telling is with just facial expressions and a few words. The most enjoyable thing about this film is the Jack the Dog who absolutely steals the show. Watch it with an open mind, and you'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment