Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Year of Magical Thinking

Book 8: Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking is a memoir about her grieving the death of her husband, who died suddenly from heart failure.

My favorite quotation from this book is: "Life changes fast. Life changes in the instant. You sit down to dinner and life as you know if ends." And I agree, life odes change fast. In an instant.

This book really resonated with me because part of what she does is relive the moments before, during, and after her husband's death to get closure. And partly, I think she's seeking an answer to the question: Could this have been avoided? or could I have done something differently? 

This resonates with me, because those are the same questions that I ask myself about  my mom. I try to remember things like when did we first notice something wasn't right after the surgery. I wonder if we should have pushed harder to get them to do an MRI sooner. What if she never had the surgery? She'd probably be blind, but she would still be herself.

I try not to go down that path too often though, because it doesn't change anything. I have to tell myself that we did the best we could. We did what we thought needed to be done. Life as we knew it ended, but life is still going on. We do the best we can. And we live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment