Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Perfection Perception and Procrastination

I've been cleaning up and organizing my home, and in the process, I've paused and sometimes stopped completely to read my journals from as far back as 10 years ago or more. I kept coming across this common theme--a constant struggle with procrastination and unending to do lists. I mean, like a list for every single day and not too many things crossed off.

I started writing this post a week ago, and I've put off posting it because I felt like it needed more polishing, more perfecting. And that's where the core of my problem is. I have always had a hard time writing until I felt that I perfected the introduction. Once the intro was done, I could write more freely. I also needed to be under deadline pressure to write. Beyond just problems with writing, I have a hard time doing most things until I either know I can finish it to completion or I am pressed for time or another motivator to do something.

This need to have things be perfect or as perfect as possible slows me down. It's been a huge problem, but I'm beginning to see that it's better for things to be done than perfect. So, I'm starting to let go. I'm trying to write without editing, but it's still tough, but I have to keep telling myself that the important this to do is write. The important thing is that things get done, no matter how small.

Progress is progress.

Starting today, I'm not going to settle for zero days, where I do nothing to reach my goals. Today, I will be able to say that I did something toward a goal.

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment