Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pancakes and Puerto Rican Specialities

My mom was a really great cook when she was able to cook. I always assumed that I'd have plenty of time to learn how to cook from her, but that's what happens when you assume things. I'm not even fortunate enough to have a recipe box of things that she would cook. She didn't use recipes for the most part and would often improvise in the kitchen. I don't think I ever really saw her measure much, which is probably why I don't measure if I can avoid. A certain kitchen Nazi (Michael) won't let me just guess on the measurements. I just hate to dirty a measuring spoon unnecessarily.

Since my mom's unable to cook anymore, I try to cook for my dad and brother when I'm in town. I'm best at making breakfast, and since my mom doesn't cook anymore, there wasn't any Bisquick around for pancakes one morning, so I tried this pancake recipe for my 4th recipe. I remember them coming out pretty good, and it was a fairly simple with ingredients you most likely have laying around.

For Christmas last year, we (Mike and I) cooked a Puerto Rican inspired meal. I made arroz con gandules or rice with pigeon peas for all you gringos out there. Anyway, I had been wanting to try making it for myself for a while, and thought that Christmas might be a nice time to try it out. My first attempt at this dish was okay, but could be better. I found myself having to add more seasoning than the recipe called for.

For my sixth recipe, I made corned beef and plantains because my dad asked me if I could do something with this can of corned beef that had been in their pantry forever. Not forever, but a long time, so I gave this a shot. I remember that my mom would make this sometimes and that I liked it when she made it. It turned out okay, but I forgot to get onions, so that weakened the flavor a good bit. I just did the best with what I had on hand.

That makes 6 out of 30 recipes so far. What should I cook up next?

No comments:

Post a Comment