Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wordy Wednesdays: The Spectacular Now

Book 7: I chose The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp because I saw a trailer for the film version, and it was being described as a modern day Say Anything, which is one of my favorite movies. The Spectacular Now is the story of Sutter Keely, a directionless, high school hedonist, whose only real goal is to have fun until he meets quiet, unassuming  Aimee Finicky while she delivers newspapers in the early morning hours. Sutter and Aimee are total opposites, but Sutter finds something intriguing about Aimee, and he feels that it's now his job to rescue her from her life.

Yes, this was young adult fiction, but I enjoyed it. Sutter Keely and Lloyd Dobler (from Say Anything) are kindred spirits. I could definitely see how the film version of The Spectacular Now is a lot like an updated and edgier Say Anything. I feel like I'm being a little vague here, but that's because I read the book back in November, so it's been a while. I'd recommend it unless you're totally turned off by YA books.


No comments:

Post a Comment